Wednesday, April 21, 2010

I really do love to read and write

^This is something I'm thinking about today. Also the blog it came from is super fun (in a completely nerdtastic sort of way). It's here in case you're feeling adventurous, and it's also where I found a link to this something (below) on this blog by Lisa Shearin. I kind of love it...especially the one about characters who interrupt conversations with real people...this happens to me a lot. Also I have a favorite punctuation; (I've worked out a way it can be a metaphor for life, but I won't share lest I reveal too much of my inner nerd.)
    You know you're a writer when:

  • You sleep with pen and paper next to your bed — and the stove and the couch and the dining table and the shower and the toilet and the. . .

  • You have a favorite punctuation mark. My editor’s trying to wean me off of em dashes — good luck with that.

  • You have a favorite pen. Uniball Signo 207 with the comfi-grip in black ink. Uh, what do you mean there are other colors?

  • You get caught up in plotting your next scene and put the cereal in the fridge, and the milk in the pantry.

  • The stacks of your old manuscripts and rejection letters officially constitutes a fire hazard

  • You desperately want Crayola tub markers so you can write down all that great dialog that comes to you in the shower.

  • You love restaurants that put a big sheet of paper over the table cloth and leave you with a handful of crayons.

  • You’re talking to a real, living, breathing person and suddenly stop and listen because one of your characters interrupted you.

  • You think sleep is way overrated. Who needs more than three hours anyway?

  • Your novels are backed up on your laptop, your husband’s laptop, two thumb drives, and you’re seriously toying with the idea of getting a safe deposit box.

  • And finally, you know your a writer if you look at yourself and see a writer. Everyone else looks at you and sees an obsessive-compulsive, anal-retentive insomniac with a pen fetish.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...