Tuesday, November 23, 2010

innovative thinking.

via weheartit.com
It is my firm belief that everyone is creative, and I will passionately argue that to the death. (ok, that's not true at all because if I tell you what I think and why and you still don't agree, I will not argue with you, it's discouraging and disappointing and I don't like it. However, I will still believe with all my heart that every person alive is a creative being.) Now, recently I read an article about how the Bible says we were created in God's image. I thought it was an interesting article, and certainly one that could be expanded into a much larger and maybe even spirited discussion. The point that I found most interesting though, was when the author pointed out that if we are all made in God's image and likeness, and he is creative (because He created a lot of things out of nothing, and to take it further, the way that he reveals Himself through nature and people and situations is usually quite unique), then logically, we must also be creative. Agreed.

After this article, I read another one: "Art isn't supposed to be safe" by Cole NeSmith. I don't think the focus of this article was intended to be the existence of creativity, but I think it certainly shows the impossibility of its absence. The author writes,
"Creativity is willing to step into the unknown and bring something new into existence.
Creativity is about an unbridled heart that is so free in who it was created to be that it is unstoppable. 
Creativity is central to everything God does. And I’m not just talking about the creative work of the land and seas and animals and you and me. I’m talking about things like redemption, peace, beauty and hope. These things can only exist when we tap into the creative heart of God."
I think this paragraph is just so full of truth and beauty. And then in the very next paragraph, he gives an example that I think expands the traditional definition of creativity. Being creative doesn't just mean that you are capable of making something cool or unique or beautiful. Being creative and possessing creativity means that you realize there are more ways than one to think about and approach any given subject or task. It's realizing that what you now know and see might not be the end all, be all. And when you understand that, the way you see literature and art and other people changes; your limits cease to be; your opportunities are endless.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...