Saturday, May 29, 2010

Let's Get Reflective


So yesterday we had to take pipe cleaners and make something that represented how we see God everyday. This is what I made. "why?" you ask. Well, here's why. I made two people (engaging in a side-hug of course. I mean are we Christians or are we Christians?) and I did that because lately I've been seeing God as my comforter.

At first I thought this task was sort of impossible because I see God so many different ways at any given point in my day, but this is the most prevalent way as of late. When I'm in school, I'm in school. I give everything I have. I think about Iago in the shower, and I dream about Charles Dickens at night. Consequently, being out of school kind of made me feel at a loss. Almost unneeded. I had no tasks to complete; no one was waiting on me to finish something and turn it in. What was I supposed to be doing?! Then there's Fall. Forget knowing where I'm going, I don't even know what direction I'm supposed to turn my foot for my next step. And then this summer. Going to camp where the catch phrase is "flexible" (not literally) and not knowing who will be there, or who my students will be, or what I'm going to encounter on site.

But as I was given this project and I started to reflect on what's been happening in my life, I realized I'm pretty much all caught up on processing, and I'm not really afraid or worried about any of the unknowns in my life. God is my comforter even though I never cried out to Him in desperation for one. He has protected me from fear and anxiety, and given me opportunity to focus on His glory and my purpose (which is a little redundant of me to say, but true). No, I am not in the least worried about what I''m going to say June 7th when my first campers get here. And no, I am not upset or troubled in the least about July 28th-ish when I end up back in central Alabama with absolutely no plans. My God is in control, and he comforts me when I don't have the answers. It reminds me of one of my favorite Psalms.
Psalm 62:5-8 "My soul, wait in silence for God only, For my hope is from Him.
He only is my rock and my salvation, My stronghold; I shall not be shaken.
On God my salvation and my glory rest; The rock of my strength, my refuge is in God. Trust in Him at all times, O people; Pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us.

Bet you didn't expect all that from pipe-cleaners, now did you?

3 comments:

Clayton James said...

I'll never look at pipe cleaners the same again.

Allison Drew said...

I love you. I love the way you love God. The end.

Lesley said...

Beautiful post about trusting God. We all need to learn that lesson.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...